Many visitors take advantage of our location to explore the adjacent Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge and other area attractions. Whether you enjoy hiking, fishing, wildlife photography, or just watching the sunset, the Royal Peacock Opal Mine makes a great basecamp.
Available activities include:
- Fishing -- there are several stocked ponds in the Virgin Valley
- Hunting -- mule deer and antelope (in season)
- Swimming and soaking -- there's a hot springs pool eight miles from the Royal Peacock Opal Mine
- Hiking -- caves, canyons (such as the beautiful Thousand Creek Gorge!), and rock hunting
- Wildlife viewing -- Deer, antelope, waterfowl and other desert creatures.
- Many wild burros and mustangs (wild horses) in this area
- Watching beautiful sunsets!
- Night Sky Viewing (see sidebar video!)